About Me

Australia
I'm a Mum who has struggled with weight since having my daughter 24 years ago. Forever trying to find that one thing that helps to make weight loss easier.
Mind Power Series

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How Do You Know When To Take Your Child To A Funeral?

I have just had a very tramatic week. My grandmother past away last Friday, after suffering much pain in her life, it has finally now stopped and she can rest in peace.
She was a terrific woman who lost her husband at age 56yrs and  had to struggle through life courageously without the love of her life.
I am so glad that she was my nan, she was so loving, generous and caring.
Nan, I will love you forever and never forget you.

A funeral can be a very distressing experience for an adult, let alone a child, so should a child be taken to a funeral?
To me, it is up to the individual person to decide. If you believe that your child is very mature and able to understand what is happening then it will not harm them to experience sadness. I do believe though that a child should experience death with a pet first, go through the burial with them and help them through the grieving process this way first. (each to their own).

My little nephew, who is 10 years, was very upset throughout the service, but he is very mature and I believe that he will cope okay. My neice (12yrs) was upset, but seemed to handle the situation a lot better. Better than myself I thought.

It is a very hard decision to make. As a parent, you know your child better than anybody else. You will know if your child is ready for this emotional rollercoaster, if your unsure, ask if they would like to go, give them the opportunity to accept or decline.

No comments:

Post a Comment